Friday, July 2, 2010

Venerdi (Friday) in Roma



After four days of some pretty heavy sight-seeing, we took it a bit easier on ourselves today, not leaving the apartment until about noon. We took the bus (successfully) to Villa Borghese, Rome's version of Central Park. There we rented a four-wheel bike (assisted by electric motors, which came in very handy) and toured the Borghese mansion, which is so full of art it's amazing; many Caravaggio's, Bernini's and others. Bernini's sculptures are every bit as a good as Michelangelo's, perhaps even better (blasphemy!). They look alive. No pictures allowed so I can't share.

The first pic is in the park, the second shows a Bernini (The Ecstasy of St. Theresa) in the church Santa Maria della Vittoria.

Ciao.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry for the same photo twice. We just realized we never hit the "publish" button for this entry so it didn't show up originally. This is a good thing, since it means I'm not losing my mind -- I knew we did an entry on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been practicing my handstands and my best is 3 seconds.....every fifth try....every other time............alright, I can only stay up 1 and a half seconds, but that should be enough to snap a picture, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you have to type in a word they give you every time you comment and my last one was "plarphig." Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! I KNEW you'd love Venice. Great pictures.
    Hey, Ellen, I'm amazed at how many different outfits you have with you. You're wearing something different in every single picture. How do you do that? You're going to have to teach me how to pack.

    Keep the blog blogging. With love from Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, I'll be happy to help you pack, but if you keep looking you'll see that the outfits do eventually repeat themselves. Hope you're having a grand time in Manchester!! xo

    ReplyDelete